Charlie Engman lives and works in Chicago and is the first photographer to be interviewed for our Featured Portfolio Column.
3 of the last things that have inspired you
1. A folio of wallpaper swatches from the ’50s from an antiques mall.
2. (Bizarre, but) the hypnotizing way an attendant at a full-service gas station in Wisconsin squeegied my windshield.
3. Roland Barthes’ “The Fashion System.”
3 things on your walls
I use my walls as a spot for temporary ideas, so all I have up right now are a few swatches from that wallpaper folio paired up with some (incredible) maps drawn for me by a close friend explaining how to use Japanese public transportation.
3 things that you never get sick of
1. New car smell.
2. Korean food.
3. My pooch, Lucinda. I’m nervous I may never love anything else so much again.
3 blogs that you follow
3. Romke H’s new gem: mossfull.tumblr.com
3 songs that everyone should listen to
1. Second Brain by Kaki King
2. Don’t Save Us From the Flames by M83
3. Give Him a Great Big Kiss by The Shangri-Las
3 words that describe your photographs